By Kelly Forst November 25, 2020
‘Tis the season to optimize your email subject lines. Here’s our checklist for making sure your subject lines get noticed this season. Plus, see 20 examples of festive subject lines from real brands.
The holiday shopping season is in full swing! And that means everyone’s on the lookout for the best deals from brands they love.
But shopping may look a bit different in 2020 than it did in year’s past. Instead of shopping at brick-and-mortar shops this year, many could turn to the internet as their preferred shopping method.
In fact, many holiday promotions have already begun. And people are already scouring their inboxes for the best offers.
So how can you compete for attention in subscribers’ inboxes this busy online shopping season? Try adding a dash of holiday cheer to your emails!
To inspire your own merry messages this holiday season, we pulled together our 20 favorite holiday email subject lines from real brands. Plus, get tips for writing your own festive subject lines.
How to write festive subject lines for holiday emails
Make sure your emails stand out in a crowded inbox this season.
Whether you’re running a special promotion, or just want to send a little holiday cheer, don’t miss this lucrative opportunity to connect with your subscribers.
Here’s our checklist to make sure your next email subject line is holiday ready:
Highlight your offers
Everyone loves savings. If you’re running a special sale, make sure to highlight it in your subject line.
Offering email subscribers a special gift or promo code is a great way to engage them during the holiday season.
But your gift doesn’t have to have a cash value to be successful. Why not gift them your latest ebook or video course? Learn more about creating incentives people love.
Understand your subscribers’ pain points
It’s much easier to know how to gain your subscribers’ attention when you understand their pain points. In creating your offer and holiday email messaging, consider the following questions:
- Who are your subscribers shopping for? For themselves or for others?
- Are your subscribers strapped for time?
- What do they need help with this season?
When you understand your subscribers’ pain paints, you can position your offering as the solution. Not sure where to start? Learn how to find your customers’ pain points.
Bring the holiday cheer
Getting a little “punny” or referencing Classic Christmas sayings is bound to bring a smile to anyone’s face this time of year. Here are some ideas to make your subject lines extra delightful.
- Puns. They’re fun to write and fun to read. Almost guaranteed to make your readers feel a little more joyful, puns are a great way to bring some humor to your subject lines. Case and point: I laughed out loud reading subject lines #5 and #8 below. Get more punny inspiration over at this list in Country Living.
- Classic Christmas references or songs. Who doesn’t love Christmas music this time of year? Reference common sayings or pop culture in your subject lines for instant recognition that your email is related to holiday savings.
- Emojis. Give your holiday email subject lines some extra flair with emojis. We found that 6.9% of subject lines use emojis, so including one could be the difference that makes you stand out in the inbox.
Use power words in subject lines
Some words incite more action from readers than others. In fact, the next time you want to see major engagement from your subscribers, try using one of these 8 power words:
- [Insert subscriber’s name here]
Learn more about the most powerful words to use in your email campaigns.
20 inspiring holiday email subject line examples
Get inspired by these 20 holiday email subject lines from real, recognizable brands:
- Instacart: Check-off your holiday shopping list with Instacart gift cards
- Toms: Your holiday style guide 🎄 | 35% off ends tonight
- Francesca’s: Last Chance To Get It Under The 🎄 for 50% off!
- Groupon: Holiday stress? How ‘bout a nice massage?
- Bed Bath & Beyond: 🎁 5 most-wanted gifts at prices YULE love.
- Dollar Shave Club: This gift is great for people with follicles
- Drybar: ‘Tis the season for blowouts!
- Michael’s: Happy Haul-days! Fill your cart with daily deals
- Trek Bicycle Store: Win the holidays with our best-loved gifts
- Wine Insiders: 40% off to get ahead of the holiday rush
- BroadwayBox: A cure for your post-holiday blues
- Target: 2 days ‘til Christmas & still need to shop? We can help.
- Paper Source: Wrap up your holiday shopping 🎁
- J. Crew: Image a world where all your holiday shopping is done early…
- M.Gemi: Shimmer or shine? 4 shoes to glam up your holiday
- Greetabl: Consider those stockings STUFFED
- Decorist: Alert: the holiday season is here, is your home ready?
- Bombas: Merry, Bright, And So Colorful
- Karma Baker: Still need a pie for Thanksgiving?
- JetBlue Vacations: The Black Friday Sale: Up to $400 off
Want to add more holiday cheer to your emails?
When you sign up for AWeber Free, you’ll get access to tons of professionally-designed holiday templates — making it easy for you to spread some holiday cheer this season.